Thursday, January 14, 2010

hale not hell

studio-home away from home office/workspace, cubicle

Woke up this morning, got ready for class and head for the door. I tell my roommate I'm going to studio. Before I get out of there he says, " Aye dog you a rapper or sumthin? You always be going to studio."
Going To Studio is a chance for success or failure or joy and pain. Studio is the home away from home and the place where our architectural design thought process is created and sometimes torn apart for lack of rigor. The moments i remember in studio most are the all nighters when everyone is trying to finish their projects and all of the jokes ,puns, and the delirousness that takes place from the absence of sleep that ultimately is needed to get the job done. It is in these moments that are hard to recreate.
In particular I remember the most recent case of this it was last quarter. I was scheduling what i would have to each day and trying to follow that schedule. So I decided to pull 2 all nighters back to back I was acting like a crazy man on a mission. I remember people saying man get some rest. I got one good night of rest then back to work again. Once i sleep i felt so much better I could think straight and I felt at ease, pacing myself just to finish on time. Since i felt rested i thought maybe I'll finish early. So fast forward to the day final projects are due Its 3 oclock p.m., Im tired after staying up all night working on my layout trying to get everything on there. At this point I feel awful and my face has no expression, my battery on the computer is low and even to go and plug it in is a challenge. The thought that i won't finish crosses my mind a hundred times I probably said it about 20. Okay now its 4:45 p.m. almost done just have to flatten the layers on the poster and im done. I can see the moment of completion near. Okay done now just to transfer the file to the flash drive. Finally done all work is over no more can be done. Only the feeling of being complete but incomplete is on my mind. One thing everyone who is an arch student remembers is not finishing early. For me when a project is due I try not to cut it close. I just know that next time when its final week that this won't happen again.
But hey thats part of studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment