Thursday, January 7, 2010








When I think of home I am reminded of Louisianas hot summer days and the mild, occasional winter frosts. Though mostly I think of Cloutierville, Louisiana, located 20 miles south of Natchitoches LA. Its a small town of about 2000 people mostly a farming community and its here where I've lived all my life.



My home was always unique to the community not for its style of architecture but mainly for its peachy pink color.


There were plenty of summer days spent in Cloutierville one in particular that I remember is when my Grandmother was getting some a new bedroom furniture. Now she was planning on just throwing away the old bed she had but my mother told her no don't she would keep it. So once we had the bed you know i just thought it was an old bed. I had no idea that this bed was a family heirloom that my great grandparents had. It was something that had been in the family for a long time and now passed on to us. Now it was a part of our home and honestly probably one of the most comfortable beds to sleep in.

But enough about beds and sleeping not that its not part of home it is. You know to some a porch is just the entrance to house or the little covered area to protect you from the rain, however in particular my family our porch is where I remember spending sundays visiting with all our family after church. At my grandma's on her porch was this old lime green couch with black striping. It was not in to good of shape but it did its job. As a kid I remember we used to jump on this couch just to hear the springs sqeak in it. Suprisingly as old as it was it never occured to us is this thing comfortable no we just jumped on it.
Theirs one moment that I'll never forget growing up. You know ordinary fall day, playing outside at my cousin's house. It was me, Archie, Alex, and Juliena, outside just doing what kids do. So we saw this pile of leaves that my uncle was burning and we decided to run through it. All of us zoomed through the fire except for Juliena. Now it was her turn, she approached the fire then stopped and just stood there in this burning pile of leaves. Now no harm was done to her none at all other than the foam flip flops she had on had melted. Of course all of us had on regular shoes except for her. Its funny how home can shape who we are today.
I guess thats why i dont wear flip flops today because of something that happened on ordinary day.




1 comment: